Treatment from an osteopath can provide relief from common complaints in children and adolescents. When the body has imbalances and dysfunction the body’s self-healing mechanisms can get obstructed. This may lead to physical complaints. The job of an osteopath is not to follow the symptoms, but find the cause of these symptoms and imbalances, restore them and to help bring the body back in its natural course and allow for it to heal itself.
Children are not to be seen as small adults and require extra attention and a different approach.
Osteopath Marie-Jeanne Nijdam has followed the 2-year course Osteopathy for Children at the IAO in Antwerp. In addition, she has followed various further training courses in the field of osteopathic treatment of babies and children.
It is important that your child feels at ease. That’s why we allow extra time for the examination and treatment.
The osteopath works with soft techniques and will never manipulate a child or force it into a posture or movement.
Complaints for which you can turn to osteopathy with babies:
A treatment by the osteopath can also provide relief from common complaints in babies. Birth is a stressful event for both mother and child. The body and the skull of the baby are made to absorb the forces that occur during the delivery. Due to prolonged pressure, the use of a vacuum pump or forceps delivery or a quick delivery, it is possible that structures are under extra stress.
- Crying inconsolably
- Excessive vomiting (reflux and hidden reflux)
- Swallowing and sucking problems (problems with lactation/ latching on)
- Digestive complaints (intestinal cramps / constipation)
- Preferred posture (pelvis, upper body and/ or head)
- Skull flattening (plagiocephaly/brachycephaly)
- Restlessness / tense body
- Ear, nose, throat complaints
- Overly stimulated/ alert
- Preventive check after birth
Practice Nijdam Osteopathy treats babies from 2 weeks old. We also have extensive experience with premature babies.
If necessary, we work together with children’s physiotherapists (TOPfysio, specialized in premature babies) and the (preverbal) speech therapist.
Complaints for which you can turn to osteopathy with young children and adolescents:
- Recurrent sinusitis, middle ear infections
- Allergies, eczema, astma
- Misunderstood abdominal complaints
- Intestinal complaints (diarrhea / constipation)
- Learning disabilities
- Motor developmental disorders
- Speech difficulties
- Sleeping problems
- Spine curvatures (scoliosis)
- Menstrual problems (late onset, heavy bleeding)
Points of attention
In case of acute complaints and / or high fever you should always first contact your doctor.